Canada provides a variety of immigration services as a country with a dedication to family reunification and holding loved ones together, giving Canadians the ability to sponsor their family members to Canada.

Family sponsorship services make it easy for citizens and permanent residents to bring their spouses and immediate family members to Canada with shortened processing times, one of the most common streams of Canadian immigration since Canada knows that family should never be placed on hold

Spouse or Common-Law Partner Sponsorship

By sponsoring your spouse or common-law partner for Canadian permanent residency, whether they live in Canada with a valid, temporary visa, or reside abroad, take advantage of an extended 12-month processing period. Applicants residing in Canada may also be eligible for an open work permit, allowing couples the ability to alleviate some of their financial burdens.

A spousal open work permit allows sponsored people the opportunity to work in Canada during the review of their sponsorship application. As Canada acknowledges common-law marriages, if you and your partner are not married but have been living together for a period of at least one year you might be able to qualify for a spousal sponsorship.

Child or Other Dependent Sponsorship

If you immigrate to Canada, on your application for permanent residency, you can opt to have your children as accompanying dependents. However, they will still be able to join you in Canada later if you choose not to include them, or are otherwise unable to do so. Canada’s child sponsorship scheme allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents, as long as they are unmarried and have no children of their own, to sponsor their biological or adopted children under the age of 22 for permanent residence.

Parent or Grandparent Sponsorship

The contribution of Canada to family reunification, through the parent and grandparent sponsorship scheme, applies to parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Citizens and permanent residents would be expected to show that they can financially support their families by meeting the Minimum Requisite Income (MNI) for the size of their family unit in order to sponsor a parent or grandparent. They must also consent to support, their sponsored family members financially if necessary. A Super Visa, a long-term, multiple-entry visa for parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents, may be available for sponsors who are unable to permanently support their parents or grandparents.